Friday 13 February 2015

Nose surgery, skin cancer?

Wed 4.02.15 - Appt with my plastic surgeon re my nose surgery for my possible skin cancer. It was early! 8.15am appt, DH and I went early just incase but got there before him so had a while to wait while he got himself sorted. 

The consult was quick, we talked about my previous scar (cyst removal from my chest) and then talked about the upcoming IVF and how important it was to deal with this now and not after. He had a quick look at my nose and said "right lets do it". DH waited for me in the waiting room and I went into his surgery room and lay down.

He prepared my face to start, I had no makeup on so was a simple case of sterilising with wipes and then he began. The worst part was the local anaesthetic that he injected into just below my eye, all the way down both my cheek and nose and right in the tip. He apologised for the discomfort and then left me for 10 mins while the local did its thing.
It was the strangest feeling as it felt like it was spreading through my face so ended up numb from the eyebrow right down to my top jaw and teeth. He came back in, checked I couldnt feel anything, told me to close my eye to protect it from the blood and he began.

I could not feel a thing other than a big of tugging. The worst part was hearing my skin tear when he cut me with the scalpel and the smell of burning flesh when he used the laser afterwards. The actual procedure was quick and he had completed my stitches (all 7 of them) within about 30 mins. He patched me up then left me with the nurse to explain wound care and I was back the following Mon 9.02.15 to have my stitches removed.

I was then she told me it was not a Basal Cell Carcinoma. It was in fact a Seborrhoeic Keratoses. A very common and harmless skin lesion that appear during adult life. Otherwise known as a basal cell papilloma or senile wart (but not part of the wart family). Despite the name, they do not have the sebaceous origin. They begin as slightly raised, skin coloured or light brown spot (this is what mine looked like) but can thicken and take on a rough warty surface and darken and turn black, taking on the appearance of a melanoma. I am SO glad we removed it when we did. I was incredibly angry when first finding out they had told me I had skin cancer when I didn't and that it could have waited till AFTER our IVF as I now have to wear tape on my face right through our cycle but hey, its done now and it is what it is.





No comments:

Post a Comment